Friday, May 27, 2011

Rico a new member of our family

Recently for Mother's Day my children Samantha and Chris surprised me with a little parrot, the pet shop girl said he was a Grass Parrot. After I posted his photo on a forum I found out that he was a South American Maroon-Bellied Conure and has a life span of 30 years. Not knowing if he is a boy or girl without a DNA test I have decided that he is a boy and we have called him Rico. We noticed that he had had an injury and now has only one toe nail remaining on one of his feet which makes him a bit unstable on the bars of his cage at times.




He is settling in very well and is starting to play with his toys and becoming used to the family. He has fly time in the afternoon and often is happy sitting on the top of his cage.... I though he would flap around non stop once he was out of his cage. He is still wary of hands and fortunately we have only had to catch him once to get him back into his cage..now I keep some sunflower seeds and put them in his feeder when it is time to come back into the cage. Already he mimics a kiss sound that we have been making too him and is much calmer when we need to put our hands inside his cage. I am waiting on a book that I have ordered to help me learn how to train him and keep him happy and healthy.
Isn't he cute.

Cheers for now Susan ♥

3 comments:

  1. How precious. Rico has a loving, forever home now and it won't be long before he is all settled in. What a sweet bird he is.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous colour Susan...at least now no-one can accuse you of talking to yourself. LOL!
    Hugs,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so sweet Susan. I love birds. I keep two parrots as pets, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. He will come around and be great. Conures have wonderful clown personalities.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I appreciate your thoughts. Cheers Susan♥